Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Priorities and Sacrifices (Mark 12)

Ok, part 2 of the lesson I didn't get to teach.  I thought about combining it with the lesson on Mark 13 but He sent my brain in a different direction on chapter 13.  So... here is part two of Mark 12.

It's Passion Week and Jesus continues to be grilled by the religious establishment.  It seems He's able to step away for a teachable moment  with a very surprising lesson on giving and sacrifice:  the widow's mite.

The crowd was gathering to put their offerings in the temple treasury.  Many of the rich people were putting in large sums of money, but the gift that captured the attention of the Lord was two small coins.

"Calling the disciples to Him, Jesus said, 'I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.  They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything - all she had to live on.'" (Mark 12:43-44)  I began to think about her and what she gave - it was a true sacrifice, giving up one thing of GREAT value (her daily provision) to get another thing of even GREATER value (showing God that she was totally dependent on Him).

I boarded this train of thought and went for quite a ride.  What are some of the things I value?  I know the right answer to this AND the proper order:  God, family, friends, myself.  Check.  But then I rode a little further... I value my health, freedom, relationships, time, ministry, job, opportunities, productivity, relaxation, possessions, hobbies and recreation, information, entertainment, convenience, ease, familiarity, speed, proximity, having a routine, communication...  (Oh wow, I am missing my Koinonia buddies here...help!!)  My train of thought pulled into the station with my bags of values in tow.

When I really thought about it, I was surprised at some of those things.  I value information.  Really?  Yes - with a couple of mouse clicks I can have a WEALTH of information before my eyes, and QUICK too, so I also value speed.  I value proximity which is why I pay more for groceries than I probably should because I'd rather go to the Kroger that's near my house than drive across town to the Super Walmart.  I value convenience which is why all the cakes I bake have their beginnings in a box!

Anybody who knows me AT ALL will attest to the fact that I value communication!  Yes indeedie I DO.  It's why I have a desktop computer, a netbook AND a blackberry!  I shop online, bank online, research online, listen to music and sermons online, communicate online...  Yes, I know what you're thinking -- I need a 12-step program, and I probably do BUT I think of it as an issue of stewardship... we're entrusted with all this technology so we need to know how to best USE IT!!  (The glass is half-full, people.)

Anyway, I value a lot of different things AND it dawned on me -- the things I value have become priorities and are reflected by my choices, even if it's just for a given moment.  And I've found that sometimes I make the right choices, sacrificing some things for greater ones, but not always. I'm making some choices that aren't so good and I'm sacrificing greater things for lesser ones.  Things like choosing to -

Watch late-night tv (and waking up tired) instead of going to sleep (and waking up rested)... say that smart-alecky remark (and getting it off my chest) instead of holding my tongue (and being gracious)... take the easy or familiar way (comfort) instead of learning a new way (growth)...  waste time surfing the internet instead of cleaning the house... shop instead of fix dinner... have an extra serving instead of eating in moderation...  the more I thought, the worse I felt!

BUT... sometimes I get it right, like when I choose to...

skip exercise class to walk with Steve...  get off Facebook to watch Project Runway with Sarah... close the commentaries to chat with Scott...  turn off the tv to catch up on my reading... put the chore aside to go to hang out with the kids...

I like to keep a to-do list and it's good for me to have a routine, but I can't live by a list of rules or a hard-and-fast schedule.  I find it suffocating and, after having two active kids, I also find it impractical, at least at our house!  There are times that it is necessary to work late, but times it isn't.  Times that it's fine to sleep late, and times that I shouldn't.  Times that I need to sign a kid out of school early, and times that I won't.

I think the key to balanced living and setting priorities is to keep the main thing the main thing, and I love the JOY acronym:  Jesus, Others, You.  Everything has a trade-off, so we need to always think about balance, and make sure the things that take priority in our lives are the things that have eternal value.

One thing that has really seared into my brain after unpacking from this little train of thought ride is what God values.  Remember my earlier definition of sacrifice:  giving up one thing of GREAT value to get another thing of GREATER value.  Now apply that to the sacrifice of Jesus:

God gave up His Son, a Person of GREAT value, to get another person of GREATER value, ME.  And YOU.  Seriously??  He considered US to be of greater value to Him than His own SON??

YES.  He DID.  Hard to believe, isn't it?
Now hop on that train of thought and ride it...

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, this is very thought provoking. TV is something that we could all use less of ..but is also a way to be together and connect with our children...my girls are both in college now but we watch Project Runway & then discuss. In general, our society is not focused on that which is eternal....and I am continually reminding myself to do just that. THANK YOU for sharing.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading fast and enjoying the "ride," feeling a little gulity about all the things I'm not doing after being gone all week. But this was worth sidetracking....my to do's will get done...my detour here was a great reminder to select my priorities carefully. It's not always about the accomplishment, is it? Thanks for the tour. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete