Monday, January 18, 2010

Healing (Mark passages)

This was Sanctity of Life Sunday, so while we stayed in Mark's gospel, the lesson was topical.  We focused on three people that Jesus healed, and the faith of each one.  It's hard to believe that in His hometown of Nazareth that Jesus couldn't perform miracles because of the people's unbelief, so He set out for some places where He could do some good!

I love the accounts of Jesus healing people.  I love to think about the transformation -- one minute they were hurting, crippled, diseased, or dead... and the next minute, TOTAL restoration.  Since I've never been healed instantly I can only imagine how great that must have been.  The only thing I could compare it to is IV pain meds while I was in the hospital.  In fact, I learned that I needed to be totally prepared to shut down and go to sleep before I got my bedtime dose -- I went out so fast there wasn't even time to brush my hair!!  So to think about broken people being INSTANTLY healed... it's amazing.

I have a friend who is battling cancer, and not for the first time.  She continues to fight the good fight physically, emotionally,  and spiritually.  I wish the Lord would touch her body and heal her instantly but He hasn't seen fit to do it that way yet.  I have friends who struggle with deep emotional scars, and I wish the Lord would touch them and instantly lift that cloud but He hasn't chosen to glorify Himself that way.  I know people who struggle with their faith, and I wish the Lord would step back into flesh and confront them so they would press on and believe.  Not gonna happen.

There are things in EACH of our lives that we wish the Lord would zap and make better -- difficult work and family situations, aches and pains, crabby neighbors, terminal illness, grief -- but sometimes He choses a harder path for us.  I'm sure He has a variety of reasons, but one of them may be to see if we will stay by what we know is true or if we will  lose heart and give up. I love this lyric in the Casting Crowns song, Praise You in This Storm:

"I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
That You are Who You are
No matter where I am"

He is Jehovah Roi, the God Who sees us.  He is Jehovah Jireh, the God Who provides for us.  He is Jehovah  Rapha, the God Who heals us.  He is Who He is, no matter what is happening in our lives.  I still wish He would come on and ride in on that white horse and save the day sometimes, but there are lessons to learn in the storm.  Those lessons are hard and they are costly, but they are refining us like silver so we can reflect the glory of the Lord in the midst of it all.  As I praise and worship Him, I feel the cloud begin to lift...

Life is hard.
God is good :)

(I love you, Monica and Jerald.  You shine every single day.)

6 comments:

  1. As I read today's posting, I'm thinking of my mother and my continued resposibilities there and sureity that things are going to get harder before they get impossible. And then, I get to the end and see Monica and Jerald's name.....I have no pain. You are correct. Life is hard. God is good. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! Thank you for a great word based on God's Word to begin a Monday, or anyday! As we also pray for the heart-rending situation in Haiti,
    it helps me to think of what our missionary to Nicaragua said: "God doesn't CAUSE such devestation and grief and poverty, but maybe God ALLOWS it to see how we Christians will respond."
    May we be faithful to respond in love and grace
    as the hands and feet of Christ, demonstrating
    God's love to the world whether it's in disaster relief work, or one-on-one listening to
    and praying with/for an individual and loving on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you Susan you said just what I needed to hear. I've been trying to fight my battle without the medication Jesus provided to help me. He told Paul his grace was sufficient and did not remove the thorn, so I will accept that for my life too and take my medicine like a good little girl. You're right Monica and Jerald do shine every day. Love to all, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you too. I am blessed to be your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's no god like JEHOVAH...
    To Monica and Jerald I say, I love you and that isn't enough, I realize, to make much of a difference, but it is all I have to offer and I give it to you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God for being all knowing,all powerful and able to heal in way that is best for us. I am thankful that God is here now and is in our tomorrows waiting on us to get there! Aunt Marie

    ReplyDelete