Sunday, January 24, 2010

How to Get Along With Others (Mark 9)

I like this title for a Bible study lesson:  "How to Get Along With Others" because there is so much room for discussion and good points.  We had an interesting text to study today -- Mark 9 -- the disciples traveling with Jesus and arguing about who would be the greatest in His kingdom.  Someone wondered, "Why on earth would they be DOING that??"  The entire class chuckled as my husband blurted the obvious answer, "They were just being GUYS!!"

One of our discussions focused on individual traits that help us get along with others:  patience, humility, putting others first, unity, tolerance (the biblical definition)...  bottom line: we need to bear the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23).  It's not always easy to get along with others, especially difficult people, because it goes against our selfish nature, but it's refreshing to see pride set aside when disaster strikes, such as the recent earthquakes in Haiti.  I think it's sad that it often TAKES a tragedy to snap us out of our self-centeredness.  And even then it can be short-lived, or worse - the tragedy provides a platform for self-aggrandizement.  Already we've seen celebrities make large monetary donations, and some may even travel to the area to make a personal appearance.  But it will be just that - an "appearance."

"Image is Everything" was a hugely successful advertising campaign by Canon in the early 1990s, and it featured the (then) up-and-coming tennis phenomenon, Andre Agassi.  Early in his career the focus often shifted from his punishing groundstrokes, brilliant strategy and amazing talent to his long hair, flashy clothes and pierced ears. There had certainly been more temperamental players like Nastase, Connors, and McEnroe, but there hadn't been anybody quite like Andre.  While he was sometimes a "bad boy," he also challenged the notion of what a professional tennis player was supposed to "look" like.  Agassi created an image of a rebel, and it made him one of the most recognizable professional athletes in the 1990s.

While "Image is Everything" was a successful slogan, I think it's a phrase that pretty well describes the popularity of almost anybody. The problem comes when the image turns out to be a mask and not a reflection of the true person.  I always want to put my best foot forward because people who don't know me personally will judge me by my actions, but I also want to be authentic and real.  I don't want to have this shiny "Susie Spiritual" veneer who is a few of rungs higher on the Ladder to the Lord, because I am definitely NOT.  My two sisters know me as well as anybody does, and if I ever got to feeling high-and-mighty those girls would DELIGHT in knocking me down a rung or two, and I'd deserve it!!

I'm so glad that Jesus sees me as I am and doesn't give up on me.  He knows and He loves me anyway.  He also knew and loved the disciples, and didn't give up on them.  He took advantage of that teachable moment as He scooped a little child up into His arms and said, "Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on My behalf welcomes Me, and anyone who welcomes Me welcomes My Father Who sent Me." (Mark 9:37 NLT)

Kids are the ultimate "humblers" because they aren't impressed by image.  They just see somebody who is grouchy or happy, mean or nice, impatient or compassionate.  Jesus wanted His followers to be strong in their faith, but also be gentle and humble and approachable instead of intimidating and proud and haughty.  There were plenty of those already and He wanted His disciples to be distinctive and different.

He still wants that -- followers who are distinctive and different.  Jesus repeatedly told the twelve that if they were to follow Him they would have to be servants.  He then modeled that in not only His public ministry but also in His private life.  He wasn't worried about His image because He just reflected His Father, and because of that the multitudes were drawn to Him.  I doubt I could ever minister to multitudes, but I'll be happy to minister to the one person He puts in my path.  I just hope that I'm a clear reflection of the Father and will show His love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I read your blogs, I don't like what I see in the mirror but.... That's a GOOD thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about kids being the ultimate humblers. Once when I was being impatient with Karis and Olivia, Karis said to me, "Mommies aren't supposed to be that way." Ouch. I had to admit to her, that she was right and ask them to forgive me. This has happened more than once, I assure you. It's amazing that a powerful God would speak to us, using a child's voice.

    Can't say Janet and I would DELIGHT in knocking you down a rung, but we promise to do it when necessary!

    ReplyDelete