Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Resolution to Journal

I'll start this with a confession:  I'm not a good journal-er.  I have friends who keep copious notes and prayer journals, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I NEVER write about the stuff that's going on in my life, and I write prayer requests on anything that's handy at the time.  The past couple of years I've done a little better by keeping a monthly prayer list on loose leaf paper and storing them in one of my notebooks.  But in talking to a good friend the other day about praying through a direction for a particular ministry, I was convicted that I needed to practice what I was preaching and do the same thing for MYSELF.


So here was my advice to my friend, and now to me.


1.  Get a notebook and list a goal(s).  The first thing I wrote was "direction for my life."  I've been busy taking care of my kids for the past 20 years, and praise the Lord they are pretty self-sufficient at this point!!  So right now I feel pretty aimless and I wasn't even sure WHAT to write but I listed the things that I enjoy and am passionate about, and then wrote that I didn't know what to do about any of it!


2.  Write down your thoughts about the goal.  Since I don't really HAVE a goal yet, my thought was "I am discontent that I don't have a goal."  I'm going to have an empty nest in 8 months, so I know there is something looming on the horizon. Actually, I shouldn't say "looming" because that word implies that there's something ominous and scary coming, but I guess having Scott and Sarah leave home is pretty ominous and scary!  But the fact remains: my life WILL change so I need to figure out what on earth I'm gonna do when I grow up ;)


3.  Pray for the Lord to give you some direction that you can't miss.  This is a biggie for me because I get so busy and distracted by life, and He knows that stuff goes flying right over my scattered blonde head.  I'm asking Him for a scripture verse because I figure that not even I can miss that, particularly if it's a verse that keeps popping up in devotionals, studies, sermons, articles, songs...  I'm pretty dense sometimes so it needs to be obvious -- I remind Him that it's not all my fault and I back it up with Ps 103 "He has compassion on those who fear Him for He knows how we are formed and remembers that we are but dust."  How much can you expect from dust anyway??


4.  Pray for Him to bring to mind some people to partner with, and then write down those names and start praying for them specifically.  It may be somebody who sends you a note or an email, or posts something on Facebook, or calls you out of the blue, or you have an interesting conversation with. He WILL put people in my path, and I'm committing to pray for them.


5.  BE STILL.  Ok now THIS will be the hardest thing for me because I'm a Type-A git-r-done kinda gal.  But I've had enough experience forging ahead of the Lord to know I DON'T like being out on a limb by myself!  One thing I've learned in my 40+ years of living is that if He cracks the door enough for me to peep through, He'll eventually swing that thing WIDE OPEN if I'll just sit tight and wait for the right timing. 


6.  Review the notes at least once a week and make changes and additions as needed.  My plan is to write at least 2 entries a month, but I'll see how that goes and adjust it whenever.  (I'm not about to get all legalistic on myself!!)  The entries won't be long and detailed, probably more like bullet-points, but I'll write it on a new page and date it so it'll be easier to read.


I'm going to keep this notebook going for a while and I know that as time passes He will provide opportunities and adjust my focus, and I'll be able to look back and connect some of the dots.  Then when the timing is right, He'll provide the people and help I need.  When the time comes to talk with them, I'll have a testimony to share that includes a log of when I started praying, how He's brought me to that place, when He brought them to mind, and how He has brought us both to that point.  If He confirms that with them then they'll know that I've put time and prayer into it, and I'm not just testing the waters and looking for something new and fun.


So there ya have it.  I'd love some advice since this journaling thing is all new to me!  Please use the KISS* method because if it's too involved I won't stick with it ;)  And I'll let you know when I actually have something to report!!


*KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid (or Susan -- sometimes they're synonymous)

3 comments:

  1. I certainly hope that you complete at least one task.

    I have never kept a journal because my sister does. All she writes down are the bad things that happen to her and how depressed she is. Personally, I feel that would make me more depressed. I also have a "stick with it" problem. I have also learned that in looking forward, not back, I see a much brighter place I want to be.

    I am sure your goals will be met. You seem to me to be quite the "three stepper". You know what that is: three paragraph letter, three sub-topic report, three part sermon and my personal favorite three part dessert.

    I might just add that is a privilege to have met you as you inspire me whenever I read your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff right here....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan you may wear many hats in this life but a dunce cap has never been one of them. You are not "stupid." For many years I have journaled by occasionally writing what I call my "Love Letters to Jesus." It's like praying on paper.
    I can see what you are doing could enhance my writing. I'll pray about adding that type of journaling along with what I'm already doing.

    ReplyDelete